Tuesday, April 23, 2013

A week of relaxation...Jamaica baby!


Chaz and I are both adventure seekers, with a list a mile long on the places we'd like to travel! After just  3 months of dating we spent a week galavanting around Paris together. When deciding where to take our honeymoon, we consulted the list and decided we'd go somewhere tropical. Jamaica it was.

We flew into Montego Day and took what was supposed to be a 90 minute shuttle ride through the mountains to the other side of the island to a city called Whitehouse. What they didn't tell us was the roads in Jamaica make the worst roads in Alabama look like a newly paved highway and they were about as wide as a a one lane road. Then, of course, we got stuck behind a Jamaican funeral. More than 2 hours later we arrived, starving, at our hotel. Greeted with a rum drink (yea!) we checked in and began 8 days of lounging.

Chaz and I both are super active Iron Tribers - doing as least one workout a day. Also, being the head chef of Team Tillman, I am very diligent about serving paleo meals - not even keeping non-paleo foods to tempt us in our home. My sweet husband convinced me that we had "earned" this week and we agreed that we would not workout the entire time were were there and we would enjoy all the cuisine the hotel had to offer.

If I had to sum up the week in minimal words this would be it: Rum. Expresso. Champagne. Desserts. Rum. Seafood. Sun. Pool. Sun Screen. Rum. Sleep.

By day 7 I had exhausted my "being lazy"card and was anxious to get back to normal life. He has pictures to prove it, but I actually participated in an aqua aerobics class one morning with women more than double my age just to get my heart rate above 50 beats/minute.

Ahead of time I had planned a little excursion for Chaz and I...even though he is not a fan of heights, I booked us a trip off hotel property to go zip lining. :) Little to my surprise, he loved the trip. We zipped hundreds of feet above YS Falls...Jamaica is an amazingly beautiful country! He agreed he would have never chosen to do such a trip, but was glad I challenged him to step outside of his comport zone. I pray that as we continue to travel and tackle our bucket list we push each other to do/try new things we never thought we'd do.



Don't get me wrong...we loved our trip to Jamaica. And after all the wedding planning and stress, a week of doing absolutely nothing was extremely welcomed. BUT...we've decided we are an adventure couple. Most of our trips moving forward will be more like the week in Paris - going and doing. Sight seeing and exploring. I'm so grateful for a partner who wants to see the world...and now we each have someone to do it with. Up next? On the honeymoon we discussed climbing Machu Picchu. We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment